Monday, March 7, 2011

Alien Encounters

Let me sum up:
Humanity translated via aliens, à la "3rd Rock from the Sun"



Let me splain:

The husband and I bid farewell to cable recently and have been getting our kicks through streamy netflix. We've been watching some classics, like "3rd Rock." Sappy enough for me, ridiculous enough for physicist husband. We've really been enjoying it.

I'm not a dorky English major, but sometimes I like to pretend I am. I've been thinking of how many cool bits of pop culture give us humanity through the eyes of aliens...or at least beings alien to humankind. I actually rely on this trope while doing IQ testing with kids--the vocabulary section usually starts with a question like "What is a shoe?" Which is kind of a weird question to answer. And when kids give a blank stare it is often helpful to follow-up with something like "Pretend I'm an alien from another planet and I've never heard of a shoe before-- what can you tell me about it?"

Lots of other alien goodness comes to mind..."The Forgotten Door," The Little Prince, The Doctor, Dr. Manhattan. Uhhhh, Blue Man Group? All give gorgeous takes on what makes us tick. Another favourite has got to be Anya from "Buffy." Alright, she's no alien, but the transformation from vengeance demon to high schooler was always rife with hilarity...and sometimes tears. Other favourites?

~Geek out

2 comments:

  1. 'What is a shoe?' Ha ha!:D Did I mention how much I love these blogs? Oh, and you post every Monday, right? What made you pick Monday? (Not complaining! It gives me something good to look forward to!) What I mean is, what made you pick 'every Monday-ish' instead of 'random'? I like the routine thing best, to be honest. Like I said, it makes my Mondays much, much more bearable!

    Do you have any book suggestions for a fellow Psych nerd? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to write it Sunday night, but since I'm only with my husband on the weekend this year while I'm on internship, I wanted to save the weekend time for him. I'd like to post it at the same time every week (like 1am Tuesday) but blogger's autopost option is finicky and often gets messed up.

    Books! "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" is fun. And the two biggest influences for me therapy-wise are probably "Don't Shoot the Dog" and "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change."

    ReplyDelete