Monday, November 15, 2010

Optimus

Let me sum up:
The death of Optimus Prime.





Let me splain:
This is for all you XY chromosomes. I'm a lady. I didn't have much of a relationship with the Transformers as a kid. But I was blown away by my husband's reaction to Optimus when we settled in for a weekend with the cartoon dvds 6 years ago. And when we went to see the first live action movie. The look on his face when Optimus spoke was akin to something I've seen him share with his Dad on one or two special occasions.

When I was at college, the resident university comedy magazine noted that it's really easy for a guy to attract the ladies in English class by pointing out that ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING is a Christ metaphor. I won't belabor the point. Whatever your stance on spirituality and religion, it's not difficult to be drawn to characters that emulate love and sacrifice. It's why Christina Ricci has an Aslan tattoo, for goodness sakes. Whether you think these characters are fictional shadows of a factual creator, the stuff of Jung and Campbell piped through our blood and brains, or simply great writing, they're pretty kick-ass. And I think it's rather nifty when we get a glimpse of what makes us human through a lion or a robot.

~Geek out

PS--Potter geeks: I will be keeping tear minutes during the movie this weekend. Play along and we can compare!

No comments:

Post a Comment