Monday, August 30, 2010

Dragon Love

Let me sum up: The goodbye scene in kid's book "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher."



Tiamat stepped forward. Jeremy could feel her slipping away from him. He closed his eyes. Don’t go! he thought desperately. Don’t go!

Jeremy suddenly felt like he was being torn in half. He cried out. As he did, he heard an answering squeal of pain. Opening his eyes he saw an awful sight. Tiamat, half in the circle and half out, was shaking with terrible spasms. Light sparked and flashed around her.

“Something’s holding her!” cried Miss Priest.

Mr. Elives turned to Jeremy. “Let her go, you little fool!” he shouted. “Let her go!”

Miss Priest ran to Jeremy’s side. “Let her go, Hatcher,” she cried. “She’ll die, trapped between two worlds. If you love her, you have to let her go.”

A great sob tore from Jeremy’s throat. Go! he thought. Go home!

And then it was over. Tiamat was gone, and the place where they stood was plunged into darkness.

Let me splain: When I was working my first summer at Disneyland, a fellow cast member revealed that he'd also loved this book growing up, and bawled his eyes out at this scene. That was enough to make me briefly consider the possibility that he was my soul mate.

For many childhood years I thought I had the power to talk to unicorns. So I totally jived with the whole "psychic-link to mythical creature" bit. I've been taking in a lot of John Lithgow lately, and this scene smacks strongly of his goodbye in "Harry and the Hendersons." Letting go of someone you love for their own good...is teh sux0r.

~Geek out

No comments:

Post a Comment